Friday, December 12, 2014

Color Run by Color Vibe

Today is December 12th and the day before my first timed 5k run!! Kinda of nervous and scarred, to be honest I haven’t ran in 2 weeks and Im hoping that I wont kill myself to bad tomorrow. I know why I haven’t ran, its because I’ve been stressed over some things, and yes that is an excuse and those are not expectable. Thats not whats important, whats important is that I keep my head up, and instead of “running” from the stress I need to find a better way. 

So for those of you who don't know already I’ll be running a 5k color run at marine world (discovery kingdom) with the Color Vibe. The weather report says that the rain should stop around 7 am  which is when check in time is, so IF the weather report is correct then we should be good. I got an email from Color Vibe saying that the event is rain or shine, and Im totally ok with that. I set my mind to it and I am going to do it the rain wont hurt me just make me a bit heavier and make the run a bit harder but I got this. 

For those of you that are going to run with me or anyone that is interested in running I have some tips for you that helped me get better.
  • Breathe; This is the most important thing, you want to maintain a nice steady breath.
    • When you are breathing in pretend like your smelling flowers, nice steady full breath 
    • When exhaling pretend that you have a birth cake in front of you an you are blowing out the candles. Never exhaling so hard you spit and making sure you get all the air out of your lungs 
    • If you are breathing really heavy, where it almost seems like you can’t get enough air in your lungs then slow it down, 
  • Running for distance: don’t push to hard till the end, after all the goal is to make it to the end not having the fast first mile.
    • Make sure that you are at a pace that you can maintain for the whole run
      • If you don’t know what that pace is (like I did when I first started running) then start at a decent pace and do a run/walk plan 
      • Run for 3min and walk for 1
        • during the walk if you are out of breathe then put your hand on your head and take two really deep breaths try not to exhale right away, then go to a regular breathing pattern 

Those are the biggest things when it come to running that helped me the most, granted the proper running form and technique are a great help. The breathing and pace are the building blocks needed to get into enough shape so that you can focus on run technique and form later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment